Meatless Monday Landmark Specialty Salads
“Let us” Start from the very beginning Often in the summer, we think to create a salad as the main meal. This is something I do many days on my Meatless Campaign. Take the time to create a new...
Often in the summer, we think to create a salad as the main meal. This is something I do many days on my Meatless Campaign. Take the time to create a new salad and enjoy the greens!
I had the pleasure of living in Augusta for a number of years and learned so much of Southern Traditions and Golf in this fine town. The famous Green Jacket Salad, from the once established restaurant, which sat across the street from that little known golf course in the city was a gallery favorite. Somehow, I was honored with this recipe years ago and I promise, this is a keeper! This appropriately named salad still reminds me of my Augusta days many years later!
Then, there is Satchel’s Pizza in Gainesville, Florida. Yes, this is also the home of the Gators but also a hidden gem with a salad and salad dressing that many rave about. In fact, there is a bottle of said dressing in my refrigerator from a neighbor’s last pilgrimage to Gator Town. They claim the secret house vinaigrette is the key to success in this dressing. The label that claims it is really the extra love in the dressing that makes the difference!
Green Jacket Salad
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, torn into bite size pieces
- pita bread, toasted
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon. Lawry seasoning salt (or to taste) ** I have lessened this to ½ teaspoon of Lawry’s.
- 1 teaspoon Accent (or to taste) ** I have omitted this as I monitor my sodium intake
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion tops
- 1 tomatoes, chopped very fine & then squished with a fork
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
- Toast pita bread and set aside to cool.
- When cool, break into bite-size pieces.
- Tear lettuce, put in large bowl and set aside.
- Add oil to a medium size bowl, whisk while you drizzle in vinegar.
- Add Lawry seasoning salt, Accent, pepper, and oregano.
- Whisk in chopped parsley, green onion tops and tomato.
- Just before serving, combine lettuce and pita chips
- Drizzle dressing over lettuce and toss.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top.
- Serve immediately!
Satchel’s famous salad recreated! I hope you enjoy thanks to the crew at A Delicious Distraction.
The salad is more about how it is assembled then the exact ratios, if you mix all together, all the nuts will fall to the bottom and it will be can become soggy and mushy. Start with the greens and build up with the “toppings” to create this salad.
- 1 granny smith apple, diced
- 1/4-1/2 cup carrots
- 1/8 red onion, minced
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and blotted of excess moisture, diced
- 2-3 cups mixed greens (spring mix)
- 1/4 cucumber peeled, seeded, and diced (optional)
- 1/8 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup salted, roasted sunflower seeds
- 1/4-1/2 cup Pecorino Romano, grated on finest setting possible
The secret ingredient is Sachels Secret Salad Dressing
- 1/4 cup balsamic
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
For the Salad:
- Mix apple, carrot, onion, tomato, mixed greens, cucumber, and pecans in a bowl, lightly tossing.
- Top with almonds and sunflower seeds on top.
- Top with the cheese.
For the Vinaigrette:
- Whisk all together until all the ingredients combine well into a smooth dressing.
- Drizzle dressing over the top
- Again, the bottle in my refrigerator claims the ingredients to be: Love, Olive Oil, Balsamic Vinegar, Mustard, Honey, Spices and More Love!
What is your favorite specialty salad?