Learn How to Make Real Whipped Cream And You'll Never Go Back
Whipped Cream is a great addition to many desserts! I was invited to a Thanksgiving dinner one fall, and I contributed a pumpkin pie to the meal. I remember stopping to get some whipped cream at the store, feeling...
I was invited to a Thanksgiving dinner one fall, and I contributed a pumpkin pie to the meal. I remember stopping to get some whipped cream at the store, feeling so sophisticated because I bought the kind from a can instead of the cheap stuff in the white plastic bowls from the freezer section. However, when dinner was over and the desserts were presented, the host made whipped cream from scratch, and I swore I would never eat it from a can again. If I had known how easy it was to make whipped cream I could have been enjoying it all along! Follow these steps to make your own whipped cream.
- Pre-chill your mixing bowl. A cold bowl and cold cream will ensure a successful product.
- Pour 1 cup of whipping cream or heavy cream into the bowl.
- Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla and 2-3 tablespoons of powdered sugar if you want a sweeter topping.
- Mix with an electric mixer. If you have a whisk attachment choose that, but any attachment will work. After a few minutes you will notice the cream getting thicker.
- After about 5 minutes, check to see if it holds a stiff peak. If you lift your mixer out of the cream, it should create a peak from the attachment that holds its shape instead of falling back down. If it doesn't, keep mixing. If it does, you're ready to serve!
See how easy it is? And you can never beat homemade fresh! Of course, an electric mixer does make this job easier, but if you don't have one, you can go at it with a wire whisk and just keep whipping by hand, but you may want to have someone else ready to tag in when you're arm starts to feel like it's going to fall off.
Once you get the technique down, you can also experiment with different flavors. A few drops of almond or mint extract will give it a new twist. Cocoa powder, fruit puree, or some orange zest are also popular options.
Cooking is meant to be a life-long adventure. Try something new, like making whipped cream today, and contact us for all your cooking and baking needs.